At IU, why can't I access library resources?
If you have difficulty accessing Indiana University library resources via the library website or via IUCAT, check these possible causes and solutions. For more help, contact your campus library staff or Support Center.
On this page:
- All campuses
- All campuses except Fort Wayne
- Fort Wayne
University and campus affiliation
You will not be able to access some resources if your IU accounts are no longer active or if you are not using the correct username and password. For more, see At IU, what happens to my student computing accounts when I graduate, leave the university, transfer to another campus, or study abroad?
The license agreement for each electronic resource (e.g., a particular database of journal articles) applies to the specific campus or campuses for which it has been negotiated. You may only access resources that have been licensed to your primary campus.
If you are teaching or taking classes at a campus other than your home campus, and you need access to specific resources for those classes, see If I teach or take classes at multiple campuses, how can I get access to electronic library resources?
Browser and software issues
Try using a different browser; some database providers may support only certain browsers. For example, if you have difficulty accessing a particular resource in Firefox, try using Internet Explorer or Safari.
You must have cookies enabled in your browser to access many electronic resources from IU libraries and to see all of the options in Classic IUCAT (cookies are not necessary for the new IUCAT). Check your browser instructions.
If you see a blank page or a message saying that only secure content is displayed, the problem may be due to a mix of secure and insecure content; see About mixed content and how to view it.
In some cases, you need to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer. If you're affiliated with IU (except IPFW), you can download it free of charge from IUware. It is also free from Adobe's Reader website.
Limits on simultaneous users
Some databases restrict the number of simultaneous users. If you're unable to access a particular resource that you should have access to, try again in about 15 minutes.
At IUB, you can view limits for databases as follows:
- Find the database you're trying to use in the list at Resources A-Z.
- Click .
- On the resulting page, look on the right next to "Simultaneous User Limit:" for the number of simultaneous users allowed when there is a limit.
All campuses except Fort Wayne
Accessing resources from off campus
To access library resources from off campus, try either of the following:
- Log in using your ADS domain account
When you are prompted for your username, enter
usernameis your username). For your passphrase, enter your usual IU passphrase.
- Create a VPN connection
See About the IU VPN.
Access to a specific article
If you cannot access the full text of an article through a particular database, you have several options:
- Search for the journal title (not the title of the article) on your campus's library website. When you find the journal, make sure the description of the coverage of the journal (displayed on the web page with the journal title) includes the month and year of the article you need. To connect, click the title.
- Search IUCAT by journal title to see if you can access the material in the IU libraries. If you are connecting from off campus, you may be asked to log in to access the material online.
- If you are sure you cannot access the material in any other way, you can also try to obtain a copy via Interlibrary Loan.
Consult your campus library's reference department if you have questions about locating or accessing a particular text; see At IU, how can I contact librarians on each campus?
At IUPUI, see Tech Issues.
If you have trouble accessing the IUB Libraries electronic resources, consider the possible reasons below. If you don't find a solution, complete the Report a Problem form. If you have additional questions, Ask a Librarian.
Database access levels
The licensing agreement for a particular database may restrict access to on-campus users or workstations. Access is controlled by your computer's IP address. When accessing databases through the Libraries website, to the left of each database's name, you will see the following icons denoting access levels:
Globe icon: Resource available without restriction
Lock icon: Resource available to authorized IUB users (on or off campus)
IUB icon: Resource available to users on IUB campus only
Workstation icon: Resource available at public workstations in libraries only
To access some resources, you'll need to log into IUCAT; to do so:
- Students: Use your student lab username and password.
- Faculty/staff: Use your office network username and password.
If you have problems with this process, contact the Walter E. Helmke Library Service Desk at 260-481-6505. If you are affiliated with IPFW and do not have a valid computer account, for procedures for obtaining an account, see:
This is document aefs in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-08-31 09:09:42.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.