About printing allotments
At Indiana University, student printing is funded through the Student Technology Fee, historically enabling more than 85% of students to print at no additional cost. Registered students and faculty are automatically able to use print services. For more, see About IU Print.
To check the balance of your allotment, recent account activity, and other details, see Check your allotment.
On this page:
- About allotments and print credits
- Full-time students, full- and part-time faculty/staff
- Part-time undergraduate students
- Standard print pricing
- Bonus pages (Student organizations, rollovers, AI, Dissertation, Research, Residential)
- Supplemental allotments (Departments, individuals)
About allotments and print credits
Your available allotment (balance) is displayed in non-refundable print credits. For example, at IUB, one credit allows you 25 B&W pages, or two color pages. Costs vary by campus; see pricing.
Your allotment (balance) will be updated in your printing account on the last business day before each semester begins.
Note: Plotter costs are based on the area of print. At a rate of 0.0057 print credits per square inch, a standard 3'x4' plot would cost 9.85 print credits, while a 2'x3' plot would cost 4.92 print credits. Plotter printing is a prepaid service.
Full-time students, full- and part-time faculty/staff
*Allotments granted per enrolled credit hour; maximum allotment is 32.50.
Part-time undergraduate students
Part-time undergraduates receive smaller allotments based upon the portion of the Student Technology Fee that they are assessed.
|4 to 6 credit hours||13.00||13.00|
|1 to 3 credit hours||6.50||6.50|
|Per enrolled credit hour||2.70||2.70||2.70||2.70||2.70||2.70|
|Admitted, not yet enrolled||2.00||2.00||2.70||2.70||2.70||2.70||2.70||2.70|
Standard print pricing
Printing costs may vary by campus:
|Type of print||IUB||IUPUI||IUPUC||IUE||IUS||IUSB||IUK||IUN|
B&W printing (simplex, 8.5x11)
|B&W printing (duplex, 8.5x11)||0.08||0.08||0.08||0.08||0.08||0.08||0.08||0.08|
|B&W tabloid (simplex, 11x17)||0.04||0.04||0.10||0.10||0.10||0.10||0.10||0.10|
|B&W tabloid (duplex, 11x17)||0.08||0.08||0.16||0.16||0.16||0.16||0.16||0.16|
Business color (simplex, 8.5x11)
Business color (duplex, 8.5x11)
Tabloid color (simplex, 11x17)
|Tabloid color (duplex, 11x17)||2.00||2.00||0.90||0.90||0.90||0.90||0.90||0.90|
|Type of bonus||IUB||IUPUI||IUPUC||IUE||IUS||IUSB||IUK||IUN|
- Student organizations must be registered with the Student Activities Office and have a group username (see Requesting IU computing accounts for groups or departments and About computing accounts for IUB and IUPUI student organizations). Faculty or staff sponsors can then apply for the allotment by emailing UITS Leveraged Services.
- Bonus allotments:
- Rollover allows you to conserve printing appropriately so that your allotment will last you through the academic year. Rollover from a previous year does not carry over to the fall semester.
- A 500-page AI bonus is granted to eligible graduate students during the first month of the semester, after IUB Human Resources has provided eligibility data. The professor or academic department where you serve can also request the bonus. If your bonus hasn't been granted by October 1 (fall), February 1 (spring), or June 1 (summer), the professor or department where you serve can contact UITS Leveraged Services requesting the bonus on your behalf, providing your username and course title/number and section number.
- For a 500-page dissertation bonus at IUB, your faculty sponsor needs to send a bonus request to UITS Leveraged Services. The request must come from a faculty member on your behalf during the semester it will be used, and must include your IU username. The bonus is available only once, and unused pages from the dissertation bonus do not roll over to the next semester.
- A Research bonus is granted upon request from your professor or department. It is only available when the department is unable to fund their research-related printing.
- A Residential bonus is granted to students, faculty, or staff who have a campus housing contract with Residential Programs and Services.
Supplemental printing allotments are available to anyone with a valid IU username, possibly needed if:
- You have exceeded your allotment and need to add funds to continue to print.
- You want to send output to the plotters.
- You want to fund work-related printing in the Student Technology Centers.
Supplemental allotments are available in increments of 5.00 print credits. Unused balances are carried over into upcoming semesters.
- Departments wishing to arrange for supplemental allotments for their students, faculty, or staff, or for visiting scholars, can email UITS Leveraged Services. To avoid delays, provide a departmental account number, the username of the individual or group, and the size of the supplement.
- Individuals can purchase supplemental allotments for themselves at IU Print. Select your campus, and log in if needed. Select the option by clicking , and follow the instructions.
This is document aouh in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-01-07.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.