At IU, how do I set or reset my vendor password for Imail or Umail?
Indiana University undergraduate students may use Umail (powered by Google) for email and other online communication services. Graduate and professional students are provided Exchange accounts by default, but are also eligible for Umail accounts.
A vendor-specific password is associated with the account you create on either service and is unrelated to (and should always be different from) the passphrase you use to access IU computing resources (e.g., One.IU and IUware). Following are instructions for resetting the vendor-specific passwords for Imail and Umail accounts:
On this page:
To access your Imail account, you must use a password that is specifically created for your Imail account. This password, referred to as your Imail vendor password, is different from (and cannot be the same as) your IU passphrase.
If you forgot or don't know your Imail vendor password, you can reset it using your IU username and passphrase. Resetting your vendor password does not affect your IU passphrase.
The Imail vendor password reset page does not work in older browsers. It will work in Internet Explorer 9 or later, Firefox 16 or later, Safari 5 or later, and Chrome.
As of January 12, 2016, Microsoft has ended support for Internet Explorer versions prior to version 11, unless you are running Windows Vista SP2 or certain versions of Windows Server; for a complete list of exceptions, see Microsoft Support Lifecycle. UITS strongly recommends that you upgrade to a new operating system if your current system does not support Internet Explorer 11 and is not on Microsoft's list of exceptions.
To reset your Imail vendor password:
- Go to the IU Imail home page:
- Near the top of the page, in the instructions for authenticating (i.e., logging in), click .
- On the "IU Central Authentication Service" page, enter your IU username and passphrase, and then click Note:If you're already logged into IU's Central Authentication Service (e.g., via One.IU), you'll automatically skip this step and land on the "Set your Imail password" page.
- The form will automatically calculate your new password's strength and display its ranking (ranging from "Invalid" to "Strongest") on the "Password strength" bar. When you have created and verified a valid password that is "Medium" strength or stronger, click .
- You'll see a page that confirms your Imail vendor password was successfully set. Click IU Imail home page. to return to the
After successfully resetting your Imail vendor password, you should be able to use it to log into your IU Imail account from the Sign in
page. In the fields provided, enter your IU Imail address (e.g.,
username with your IU Network ID username) and the Imail vendor password you just created, and then click .
For help, contact your campus Support Center.
Depending on which interface you use to access it, you'll log into your IU Umail account using either your IU passphrase or your Umail vendor password:
- When logging in from either the IU Umail home page or Email (Umail) in One.IU, use your IU passphrase.
- When logging in from either the Google Apps for Indiana University page or the Google Gmail home page, use your Umail vendor password.
If you forgot or don't know your Umail vendor password, you can reset it using your IU username and passphrase. Resetting your vendor password does not affect your IU passphrase.
To reset your Umail vendor password:
- On the IU Umail home page, click . (Depending on your device, you may need to scroll down to see the link; on devices with larger displays, you should see it to the right of the button.)
- On the "IU Central Authentication Service" page, enter your IU username and passphrase, and then click Note:If you're already logged into IU's Central Authentication Service (e.g., via One.IU), you'll skip this step and be redirected to the Umail "Set your password" page.
- On the "Set Umail password" page, read the password guidelines, and then, in the "Enter password" and "Confirm password" text fields, enter a new Umail vendor password.
- Click . You'll see a page that confirms your Umail vendor password was successfully set.
After successfully resetting your Umail vendor password, you can use it in combination with your IU Umail username to access your account from the Google
Apps for Indiana University page, or in combination with your IU Umail address (e.g.,
username with your IU Network ID username) to access your account from the Google Gmail home page.
For help, contact your campus Support Center.
This is document awtn in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-11-16 16:40:48.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.