Guidelines for avoiding service interruptions when changing the primary email address for a personal or group computing account at IU
On this page:
- Before changing the primary IU email address for your personal or group computing account
- Changing the primary IU email address for your personal or group account
- After changing your personal or group account's primary IU email address
firstname.lastname@example.org address has been given one, even if they already had another email address based on campus affiliation. Your primary email address remains the same, unless you change it, and you will continue to receive mail sent to any of your addresses as usual. If
email@example.com not your primary email address, messages sent to
firstname.lastname@example.org be automatically forwarded to your primary email address.
In some cases, you may need or wish to change your primary email address. For example, if you have moved from one Indiana University campus to another, you may wish to have a primary email address that reflects your new campus affiliation. You will receive all messages sent to any of your IU email addresses automatically, regardless of your primary address. However, your primary email address determines which email address you send mail from, and which email address is displayed in the IU Address Book. So, for example, faculty and staff may wish to set a primary address that reflects their job duties.
Students: If you use Umail, your reply-to address is
email@example.com; this is unaffected by your primary email address.
By default, everyone has an
@iu.edu address; for more, see At IU, what is my email address? If you do not yet have an email address using the domain of a campus with which you're affiliated (e.g.,
firstname.lastname@example.org), you can create the new address as described in How do I create a new IU email address?
Before setting a different IU address as your primary email address, you should take several precautionary steps to avoid potential problems with existing mailing list subscriptions, website logins, and access to services both inside and outside of IU, as described below.
Before changing the primary IU email address for your personal or group computing account
These instructions will help you avoid potential problems with IU services, but they cannot anticipate all the outside lists, websites, and services that might be associated with your old address, nor can they foresee any unusual or complex configurations you might have with IU systems (e.g., if you have already used multiple email domains with any IU services).
Before you begin, investigate and note any atypical configurations you might have used; this will help you as you proceed, and can help the UITS Support Center or other support consultants troubleshoot any problems that may arise.
Furthermore, although this information is intended primarily for owners of personal (i.e., individual) computing accounts, if you are the owner of a group (e.g., departmental or student organization) computing account that's changing its primary IU email address, you should check the IU List subscriptions and IP phones associated with that account.
Verify your account's existing email addresses
In most cases, personal email addresses for which you are eligible will be created automatically, based on data from the Office of the Registrar (students), the Office of Academic Affairs (faculty), or IU Human Resources (staff).
If you requested a new email address for your personal or group computing account, verify that the new email address was created successfully:
- Individual accounts:
In a fresh browser (i.e., in a browser in which you have not logged in using the Central Authentication Service), navigate to https://access.iu.edu/Accounts. Log into CAS using your group account credentials.
Your accounts will be listed.
- To see how your email addresses are forwarded, click
You will see further links to manage your email account. Do not change your primary address at this time.
If you have recently created a new email address, verify that it is being forwarded to an email service (e.g., Exchange, Imail, or Umail). If the entry for the address indicates that it is delivered to " @ ", set that account to forward correctly; clickand select the appropriate option:
- To select an IU email service, choose , and then, from the drop-down menu, select the appropriate email service (e.g., Exchange, Imail, or Umail).
- To use a non-IU email service, choose Important:
Before setting your IU email address to forward to a non-IU service (e.g., Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo!), note:
, and then enter the email address to which you'd like your account's email forwarded.
- UITS cannot guarantee email delivery to non-IU accounts, delays in delivery can occur, and the UITS Support Center may not be able to help with some problems concerning non-IU accounts. If your email forwarding fails for any reason, you may miss important official communications sent to your IU address for which you are still responsible.
- Faculty, staff, residents, and students in HIPAA Affected Areas whose roles may require sharing protected health information (PHI) via email (e.g., Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Optometry) are not permitted to set up mail forwarding to outside accounts, as this could result in the violation of federal and state laws. For more, see HIPAA Privacy and Security.
Add your new account as an alias in your IU Box account
By default, Box treats different email addresses as separate Box accounts. To avoid creating a second Box account, add your new email address as an alias to your existing Box account. See How can I add another IU email address to my IU Box account settings?
Verify your account's existing IU List password and subscriptions
Verify the IU List password and subscriptions for your personal or group account by logging into the service. If you do not have an IU List login for your personal or group account, you may need to create one; see What is IU List, and how do I use it? If necessary, you can reset the IU List password; see On IU List, how do I change or reset my password?
Remove your IU email profile from your smartphone or handheld device
Some individuals have experienced problems with their smartphones and handheld devices after changing their primary IU addresses. For best results, remove your IU email profile from your device before changing your primary IU email address, and then, after the change is complete, create a new profile.
Changing the primary IU email address for your personal or group account
If you have not already done so, create a new IU email address for your personal or group account; see How do I create a new IU email address?
Set your account's new email address as its primary IU email address. For instructions, see At IU, how do I change my primary email address and set delivery for my email addresses?
After changing your personal or group account's primary IU email address
Update your account's email address on IU List
Log into IU List using the IU List login for your personal or group account, as appropriate, and change your account's address there; see If I change my IU email address, how should I update IU List mailing lists that I subscribe to or sponsor?
If your account is subscribed to any mailing lists that restrict posting to members of the list, you may wish to wait until you are certain your account's new primary IU email address has propagated through the system before changing it in IU List; otherwise, you will not be able to send mail from your account to these mailing lists.
Update email clients
You need to update some email clients (including Outlook 2011 for Mac, Mac Mail, and Thunderbird) with your account's new primary IU email address. While some email clients may continue to function, they will not automatically update your sending address. Outlook 2010 for Windows should automatically update your sending address. Whichever client you use, you may need to edit some existing rules (or create new ones) for handling incoming messages.
Change your account's UniCom sign-in and reset IP phones
After changing your account's primary email address, if you encounter problems logging into UniCom, see At IU, how do I connect to UniCom with a Mac? or At IU, how do I connect to UniCom from outside of the ADS domain?
Your account's UniCom contacts will see your account in Lync listed as "Presence Unknown". This will correct itself once they log out and log back into Lync. You may want to enter a note in your UniCom client to alert your contacts of this.
- Mac OS X: In Lync for Mac, your account's previous conversation histories may no longer be available from within the client. Because the Mac clients store conversation histories locally, you can find them on your computer at
Documents > Microsoft User Data > Microsoft Lync History.
- Windows: Lync for Windows saves conversation histories in your Exchange account; previously logged conversations will be accessible from Outlook and OWA in the
Certain IP phones will require action:
- If you have a Polycom CX600 phone, reset it; see How do I reset a Polycom CX600 phone? Your phone may not be able to connect until the following day.
- The Nortel 8540 ("Tanjay" phone) and similar models will log out once they detect that your primary email address has changed. You will need to log in again with your new email address. If you are unable to edit your sign-in information, you will need to reset the phone; see Guide to LG-Nortel 8540 and Polycom CX700 phones.
Update subscriptions to external lists
If your personal or group account is subscribed to any external (non-IU) lists, you may not be able to post to those lists until you have updated them with the appropriate contact information. This process will be different for every external entity, and you will need to determine this process separately for each one. Your account should still be able to receive mail from these lists, but they most likely won't accept posts from your account's new email address until you update the contact information or re-subscribe.
Check JIRA permissions
If you manage issues in IU Enterprise JIRA, your JIRA account permissions may be affected by the email change. If you encounter problems, send email to the JIRA/Confluence mail queue, requesting that your permissions be updated.
If you use FootPrints, see What do I need to change in FootPrints if I change my primary email address?
This is document baqe in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-09-01 00:34:30.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.