Problems sending or receiving email
Email problems can arise with your account itself or with the configuration of your email client (the software you use to access your email account), and it's not always easy to tell which of these is to blame. Keeping your account within its allotted storage size by deleting and/or moving messages, and properly specifying your preferred address, will save you from the most common problems with mail receipt. With regard to sending mail, correctly specifying your SMTP mail server in the configuration of your client, and using the proper addresses for your recipients, will avoid two of the most common problems.
On this page:
- General problems
- Preferred address and forwarding problems
- Storage problems
- Email clients
- Mobile devices
- At IU, why am I not receiving all of my email?
- Handling Imail or Umail login problems
- When I try to connect to IU through an outside ISP, why do my IMAP
mail messages bounce?
- At IU, what is the maximum size of email messages, and how
can I send messages that exceed that size?
- Why am I getting undeliverable or bounce messages for email I
- Why am I receiving duplicate copies of email messages, and how do I
- Why do I sometimes not receive mail from distribution lists when
other users on the same distribution lists do?
- Why did I receive a Message Encryption Notification?
- How can I read a CRES-encrypted message?
- How do I check my storage space on the IU Exchange
- About your storage space on your IU Exchange account (Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010)
Many people prefer using email clients (Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc.) over accessing email via a browser due to their additional features. If you are experiencing problems sending or receiving email using an email client, you may need to troubleshoot your account settings. Choose your account from the list below to find the settings for most popular email clients.
If you use a different client, see If my email client is not covered in the Knowledge Base, how do I configure it to work with IU email systems?
If you are experiencing problems sending or receiving email on your mobile device, you may need to troubleshoot your account settings. You may find it easier to remove your account and set it up again with the proper configuration. From the list below, under your account type, select your mobile device to find settings.
Imail or Umail
This is document amaq in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-10-06.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.