In Windows, how can I connect to a different computer or server (Remote Desktop)?
In Windows, Remote Desktop allows you to access another computer from a different location, as if you were sitting in front of it.
Enable the Remote Desktop feature on the computer you wish to access (the host)
If you've already done this, skip to the next section.
- On the host computer, in Windows 10 and 8.x, search for
Allow remote access to your computer. In Windows 7, navigate to the . Double-click , and then click .Note:For help navigating, see Getting around in Windows.
- Select your options for allowing connections from other computers.
- To choose which users will have remote access, click . Typically, all administrators of the computer will have access by default. Each user must have a password before you can allow remote access.
- Click .
Open a connection
- You'll need a VPN connection if you are off campus connecting to a computer on campus, or if you are on campus connecting to your home computer in campus housing. Alternatively, from your web browser, you can use the Remote Desktop application in IUanyWare, located in the "Utilities" section.
- All Student Technology Center (STC) workstations running Windows have the Remote Desktop Connection client installed. You cannot connect to an STC computer using Remote Desktop, but you can connect from an STC computer to your host computer.
- In the Windows search field, enter
mstsc; you may need to click in the listed programs. The "Remote Desktop Connection" window will open.
- To adjust connection settings such as screen size, login information, availability of local hard drives and printers, or keyboard and sound behavior, click .
- In the "Computer:" field, type the entire name or IP address of your host computer (you can find it in your computer or system properties). Click .
- Log into the host computer if needed.
- When you are finished, in the "Remote Desktop Connection" window,
usernameis your username on the host computer). Click . , and then click . From the
resulting drop-down menu, select (where
This is document amyp in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2015-08-13 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.