How do I access Canvas at IU from a computer or mobile device?
To log into Canvas at Indiana University, you must have an IU Network ID, IU Guest account, or IU group account. Canvas accounts are provisioned automatically by UITS for IU students, faculty, and staff.
If you have an IU Guest account, a Canvas account will be created for you the first time you attempt to log into Canvas. For instructions on establishing an IU Guest account, see About IU Guest accounts.
To establish a Canvas account for an IU group account, the group account owner must send a request to the UITS Mission Critical team. In the request, include your full name, plus the username and email address associated with the group account. Once the Mission Critical team confirms the creation of the account, you can use your IU group account username and passphrase to log into Canvas.
On this page:
Accessing Canvas via a web browser
If your Canvas account is associated with your personal IU Network ID account, an IU Guest account, or an IU group account, you can access Canvas at IU from a web browser on a computer or mobile device. For details on which web browser versions are compatible with Canvas, see Which browsers does Canvas support?
To log into Canvas using a web browser:
- Go to canvas.iu.edu.
- On the left, click the button.
- Log into IU's Central Authentication Service (CAS) using your IU Network ID username and passphrase, your IU Guest account credentials, or your IU group account credentials.
- If you're already logged into CAS via another IU service, such as One.IU, clicking will take you directly to your Canvas user dashboard.
- The canvas.iu.edu site mentioned above is the preferred site for accessing Canvas at IU. However, if that site is unavailable for any reason:
Accessing Canvas via mobile apps
If your Canvas account is associated with your personal IU Network ID account or an IU group account, you can access Canvas at IU via mobile apps developed by Instructure.
If your Canvas account is associated with an IU Guest account, you won't be able to log into Canvas via Instructure's mobile apps. However, you can use your mobile device's web browser to log into the Canvas at IU website (as explained in the previous section).
Instructure has developed several mobile apps for Canvas, which are available as follows:
|App name||iPhone||iPad||Android phone||Android tablet|
|Polls for Canvas||x||x||x||x|
To access Canvas at IU using an Instructure mobile app:
- On your smartphone or tablet, open the app.
- If prompted to "Find your school or district", enter
Indiana University. If prompted for your Canvas URL, enter
http://iu.instructure.com.Note:The IU Canvas gateway URL (canvas.iu.edu) will not work with Instructure's mobile apps.
- Log into IU CAS using your personal or group account Network ID credentials.
For more about accessing Canvas via Instructure's mobile apps, search the Canvas Guides:
- Canvas by Instructure iOS Guide
- SpeedGrader iOS Tablet Guide
- Polls for Canvas iOS Phone Guide
- Polls for Canvas iOS Tablet Guide
- MagicMarker iOS Tablet Guide
- Canvas by Instructure Android Guide
- SpeedGrader Android Phone Guide
- SpeedGrader Android Tablet Guide
- Polls for Canvas Android Phone Guide
- Polls for Canvas Android Tablet Guide
This is document bcwp in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2017-01-06 15:15:36.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.