Imail and Umail
Important: UITS is preparing to retire the Imail service, and users can no longer create new Imail accounts. Current users are not affected at this time, and will be given at least six months' notice before Imail is discontinued. For more, see About the Imail retirement.
Indiana University undergraduate students have two options for email and other online communication services: Imail (powered by Microsoft) and Umail (powered by Google). Graduate and professional students are also eligible for Exchange accounts.
Eligibility and creating accounts
All students are eligible to create Umail accounts by following the appropriate instructions below:
- If you're a newly admitted student, create your account by using the Starter Kit; see About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates.
- If you're currently a student, create your account
through the Account Management Service (AMS); see At IU, if I already have some computing accounts, how do I get
IU faculty and staff are not eligible for Umail accounts.
Things to consider about Imail and Umail
- Your full IU email address contains
your Network ID username and your campus domain
regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email
address determines where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address,
however, reflects the mail service (e.g.,
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred email address, through the Account Management Service (AMS).
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements do not appear in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email that you already have or create in the future remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
Important: Many students are employed in some capacity by Indiana University and use email in their employment, either to communicate with their co-workers and supervisors, or to carry out their job responsibilities. Because Imail and Umail accounts are hosted by vendors external to IU, student employees may use these accounts to conduct university business only if they do not receive or transmit any institutional data considered sensitive via these accounts. See Student use of email for work-related purposes.
The Support Center provides help for all IU mail systems, including Imail and Umail. Both Microsoft and Google also offer 24/7 support.
This is document avtf in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2014-10-17.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.