Imail and Umail
Indiana University undergraduate students may use Umail (powered by Google) for email and other online communication services. Graduate and professional students are also eligible for Exchange accounts.
Eligibility and creating accounts
All students are eligible to create Umail accounts by following the appropriate instructions below:
- If you're a newly admitted student, create your account by using the Starter Kit; see About creating first computing accounts for admitted students, faculty, staff, and affiliates.
- If you're currently a student, create your account by following the instructions in At IU, if I already have some computing accounts, how do I get others?
IU faculty and staff are not eligible for Umail accounts.
Things to consider about Imail and Umail
- Your full
IU email address contains your
Network ID username and your campus
regardless of the system you choose, because your preferred email address determines
where you receive IU mail. Your reply-to address, however, reflects the mail
- You are required to establish an IU email account and read email sent from IU faculty and administration; see official communications information.
- You manage your mail account settings, such as your preferred email address, through various tasks in One.IU.
- While you are an enrolled student, advertisements do not appear in the IU-customized systems. After you graduate, you will have the option of keeping your account, at which time ads will appear.
- Any accounts with Google Gmail or Microsoft email that you already have or create in the future remain separate from your Umail or Imail account.
The Support Center provides help for all IU mail systems, including Imail and Umail. Both Microsoft and Google also offer 24/7 support.
This is document avtf in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-04-27.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.