At IU, what is Zoom, and how do I use it?
Zoom is a web collaboration tool available to all Indiana University students, faculty, and staff. A regular Zoom meeting can support up to 50 simultaneous participants, while a large meeting can support up to 300 participants. Zoom also includes a webinar tool for very large meetings or classes. Zoom provides high-quality audio and video, intuitive sharing and co-annotation tools, breakout rooms, whiteboarding tools, the ability to easily add content to a meeting on the fly, and the ability to download meeting recordings as MP4 files.
Zoom integrates into Canvas as an external tool, and has apps for all platforms, including fully featured iOS and Android apps. Zoom's high-quality video and recording features also allow for recording simple videos with a webcam.
Those who have the meeting URL can attend a Zoom meeting even if they aren't affiliated with IU; however, only those in the IU community can create Zoom accounts and schedule meetings.
Non-IU attendees count towards the 50 person meeting maximum.
On this page:
- Getting started
- Running a meeting
- Getting help
- Getting started with Zoom
- Installing Zoom on a desktop or mobile device
- In Zoom, what are the various roles and permissions?
- Using Zoom in Canvas
- At IU, can I use Zoom for large video meetings or webinars?
- In Zoom, how do I manage departmental meetings?
- Accessibility features in Zoom
- About closed captioning in Zoom
Running a meeting
- Adjusting Zoom settings for standard meetings
- Using Zoom on a desktop or mobile device
- How do I connect to Zoom from a videoconferencing room?
- Using screen layouts with Zoom
Help documentation and training
- Troubleshooting Zoom issues
- Troubleshooting audio and video issues on your computer or mobile device
- Zoom Help Center
To register for free Zoom training, visit the Weekly Zoom Training Webinar page.
Pedagogical or technical assistance
- Teaching and learning centers: Instructors can get help using technology in their teaching at the teaching and learning centers on each campus; see How do I contact the teaching and learning centers at each IU campus?
- Classroom Technology Services: For help using Zoom with classroom technologies, contact Classroom Technology Services:
- UITS Support Center: For Help documentation using Zoom, contact your campus Support Center.
This is document bfqu in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2017-03-27 10:46:12.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.