At IU, how can I get university-licensed software?
Affordable and up-to-date software for students, faculty, staff, and departments is readily available at Indiana University thanks to license agreements with companies such as Microsoft, Adobe, SPSS, and Thomson Reuters. Offerings include operating systems, antivirus programs, and software for word processing and spreadsheets, web authoring and development, graphic design, citation management, statistical analysis, and more.
- Use IUanyWare.
IUanyWare is a client virtualization (CV) service available to Indiana University students, faculty, and staff. With IUanyWare, you can use a web browser or mobile app to run certain IU-licensed software applications without having to install them on your computer or mobile device.
To determine whether specific software is available, search for the title within IUanyWare.
- Download it free of charge from IUware.
IUware (at IPFW, http://iuware.ipfw.edu/) is a software distribution service for Indiana University students, faculty, and staff. IUware offers a wide variety of software packages at no charge, including site-licensed products from Adobe, Microsoft, Thomson Reuters, and others. Software packages include programs for reading email and web browsing, as well as antivirus and office applications. The university pays for the relevant licenses through agreements with vendors; this allows students, faculty, and staff to use the programs available through IUware, most free of charge. The IUware server is regularly updated, so patches and upgrades for IU-supported software are consistently available.
- For Microsoft products, use Office 365 at IU.
Office 365 is a subscription-based service that provides multiple options for accessing the newest versions of Microsoft Office. Office 365 includes Office 2016 for Windows and OS X, cloud-based Office Online apps, and mobile apps for your smartphone or tablet. The service is free to all IU currently enrolled students, and all faculty and staff. You can install it on up to five PCs or Macs, five tablets (Windows, iPad, and Android), and five phones.
- Purchase software at discounted prices on CD or DVD:
- At your campus bookstore: You will need to show either your valid university ID, or a photo ID and a schedule of classes proving current enrollment; to ensure that you can adequately prove enrollment, contact the bookstore prior to purchasing.
- By mail: See IUware Off-Campus Software Ordering. Allow 7-10 days for delivery. All sales are final.
- Visit the STCs (Student Technology Centers). For more about the STCs (e.g., locations, lists of available software, hours), see Welcome to the Student Technology Centers.
- Some software is available at the walk-in Support Center in Bloomington.
- Students with the status "currently enrolled or registered for a future semester" according to the Office of the Registrar; if your access is denied, this means the registrar's records indicate that you do not meet this requirement
- Faculty with the status "presently employed by IU"
- Retired faculty (but not retired staff); for more, see About access to IU resources for official IU retirees
- Staff who use a computer at work and have the status "presently employed at IU"
This is document aclo in the Knowledge Base.
Last modified on 2016-06-21 00:00:00.
- Fill out this form to submit your issue to the UITS Support Center.
- Please note that you must be affiliated with Indiana University to receive support.
- All fields are required.